Saint Francis Animal Hospital provides affordable veterinary care to all owned pets in the surrounding Jacksonville area. Locally founded and inspired, we are a non-profit organization that treats all of our patients with quality, tender healthcare.
THANKSGIVING DAY HOURS OF OPERATION
Thursday, November 27, 2014: 8:30am – 2pm
If you decide to feed your pet a little nibble of turkey, make sure it’s boneless and well-cooked. Don’t offer her raw or undercooked turkey, which may contain salmonella bacteria.
Sage can make your Thanksgiving stuffing taste delish, but it and many other herbs contain essential oils and resins that can cause gastrointestinal upset and central nervous system depression to pets if eaten in large quantities. Cats are especially sensitive to the effects of certain essential oils.
No Bread Dough
Don’t spoil your pet’s holiday by giving him raw bread dough. According to ASPCA experts, when raw bread dough is ingested, an animal’s body heat causes the dough to rise in his stomach. As it expands, the pet may experience vomiting, severe abdominal pain and bloating, which could become a life-threatening emergency, requiring surgery.
Don’t Let Them Eat Cake
If you’re baking up Thanksgiving cakes, be sure your pets keep their noses out of the batter, especially if it includes raw eggs-they could contain salmonella bacteria that may lead to food poisoning.
Too Much of a Good Thing
A few small boneless pieces of cooked turkey, a taste of mashed potato or even a lick of pumpkin pie shouldn’t pose a problem. However, don’t allow your pets to overindulge, as they could wind up with a case of stomach upset, diarrhea or even worse-an inflammatory condition of the pancreas known as pancreatitis. In fact, it’s best keep pets on their regular diets during the holidays.
A Feast Fit for a Kong
While the humans are chowing down, give your cat and dog their own little feast. Offer them Nylabones or made-for-pet chew bones. Or stuff their usual dinner-perhaps with a few added tidbits of turkey, vegetables (try sweet potato or green beans) and dribbles of gravy-inside a Kong toy. They’ll be happily occupied for awhile, working hard to extract their dinner from the toy.
Veterinary Care Available Thanksgiving Day
In the event you pet gets sick on Thanksgiving Day, St. Francis Animal Hospital and Best VETS will be open.
Thursday, Nov. 27, 2014, 8:30am – 2pm
Wishing you and your pets a safe and healthy Thanksgiving!
If you pet doesn’t mind wearing a costume, you can keep your pet safe and stress-free by following some of these recommendations regarding pet costumes:
- Make sure the costume fits properly. If a costume is too big, your pet could be injured through tripping or getting the costume caught on furniture. If a costume is too small, your pet may be at risk of choking and discomfort.
- Make sure the costume is lightweight to avoid overheating.
- Be sure the costume is free of small dangling parts that could be torn off and ingested.
- Make sure your pet can see while wearing the costume. Even pets with the sweetest temperament could bite, scratch or cause injury because they cannot see properly.
- Avoid dyes and face paints which may irritate your pet’s skin or be eaten. Even if a product states it is non-toxic, it could still cause stomach upset or a reaction.
- Never leave your pet unattended while dressed in a costume.
- Remember it is dark outside. So, if your pet will be traveling with you this Halloween, consider adding a reflective collar or tape to their costume so they can be easily seen.
Glow sticks and jewelry have become very popular for Halloween and pets (particularly cats) have been known to gnaw on them. The substance that creates the glow is called phenol and can leak out and burn your pet’s fur and tongue.
You should keep all candy out of the reach of your pets because some candy and Halloween treats can be dangerous to your pet, especially the following:
- Sugar-free candy containing Xylitol: Even in small doses, Xylitol can cause rapid low blood sugar and liver damage or failure in dogs.
- Chocolate, especially dark chocolate and baking chocolate are poisonous. Ingestion of dark chocolate or baking chocolate can cause tremors, nervousness, high heart rate, vomiting or death in some cases.
- Raisins are often a healthy Halloween treat for kids, but can be deadly to dogs. Dogs can experience kidney failure after ingesting a small amount of raisins (including currants and grapes in many cases).
- Make sure you discuss with children and guests the dangers of sharing Halloween treats.
- Be sure to keep candy and treat wrappers away from your pets. Pets can choke on cellophane and tin foil wrappers and ingestion of wrappers can cause life-threatening bowel obstructions, requiring surgical intervention.
Trick or Treaters
- Keep in mind the constant door bell ringing and unusual appearance of strangers in costume may be too much for your pets. It’s a good idea to have a quiet, safe spot for your pet away from all the commotion. Make sure there’s comfy bedding, a litter box if your pet is a cat, a few toys and some “white noise” in the form of a radio or TV playing in the background to muffle the unusual level of noise and activities that surround Halloween.
- Be alert when opening your door, your pet may be tempted to escape. Consider putting up a pet gate in your doorway as a precaution.
- Make sure your pet is wearing current identification, and if your pet is microchipped, insure your information is current on the chip maker’s database. If you have any questions about microchips, please contact us. We offer affordable microchipping for pets.
- If possible, walk your dog before dark before all the trick or treating festivities begin. Exercising your dog will help reduce their stress level.
- Jack-o-lanterns can be dangerous to pets with wagging tails and curious noses. Avoid house fires and injured pets by keeping candles out of reach or by using a low-heat battery-operated light instead.
- Festive lights, ribbons and streamers should also be kept out of reach of pets to avoid injury including electrocution or ingestion causing obstruction.